Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sinful Kek Lapis!

Why I call it a sinful cake?? Let the pictures do the talking...



1....2....3....4....5....6....7....8....9....10....11....12.....13....14....15...EGG YOLKS!!!!


Only 8 Egg Whites... Sorry ah...it look like the "small business"


330g of butter and 200g of sugar

Used a hand whisk instead of a beater to cream them, my arms are aching now


Got to add in 1 egg yolk at a time and whisk, repeat the steps 15 times!


Nice Creamy Texture


Beaten egg white, i love to see this!


After mixing the butter mixuture with beaten egg white, it kind of curdle.

My first layer


Nearly done!


Sorry...poor resolution again...


Stacks of Kek Lapis...No time to arrange them...its already 12.30am...

Conclusion:

This is my 2nd time baking this. The 1st time, i'm still a new bird, it's the first cake in my life, it was underbaked and came in huge layers as i didn't love baking that much at that time.

As for my 2nd attempt, i feel my love for baking and the layers turned out thin and fine. Love to look at the many many many layers. However, I've also learnt that, do not bake the lower layers till 100% cooked. I was kiasu and baked them till 101% cooked, and in the end the bottom 2 layers turned out to be crusty! HAHA..

It's really fragrant! I ate 2 pieces...feel so bad now...! My mum tried too and said "GOOD!" Other than Boyf, she is another fan of my bakes. HEHE..Thanks to all my guinea piggies!!!

And heard that it's best to serve it the next day, as it will be more oily and moist...nicer! Boyf will be coming tmr to eat them!! HOHOHO!!!

Recipe from Moms4Moms Forum's Mummykoala :


15 egg yolks
8 egg whites
3.5 oz self raising flour
250g icing sugar (I only used 200g)
12 oz butter ( I used Anchor unsalted butter, but supposed to use salted butter)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essense
1/2 teaspoon Kueh Lapis powder (Rempeh Lapis)
4 tablespoons condensed milk
1/2 tablespoon brandy

1) Beat icing sugar and butter till high soft peak. Then beat in egg yolk one at a time.

Add vanilla essense, kueh lapis powder. condensed milk, wine and beat. Add self raising flour tablespoon by tablespoon. Mix and pour in another bowl.

2) Beat egg white till high soft peak. Add mixture from step 1. Use a wooden spoon to beat/mix.

3) Preheat oven for 5 mins at 180 C. Use grill function. Grease the pan (I use 8x8 square pan). Scoop 4-5 tbsp of batter into pan and bake for 2 mins. Remove and press cake evenly. Repeat till batter finished.

4) Cool for a while when finished. While cake is warmed, Place obsorbent paper towel on top to allow excess butter to flow to towel.